As you watch USC host Arizona tomorrow afternoon, you might see some of these interesting bits and pieces:
- USC is 8-3 (5-3 Pac-10), ranked #20 in the AP, #18 in the BCS and #19 in the Coaches' poll
- Arizona is 7-4 (5-3 Pac-10), unranked (30th if you count the "others receiving votes")
- Winner ties for 2nd place
- Loser finishes in 6th place, or a 5th place tie, in the Pac-10
- USC is favored by 7 points
- Kickoff: 12:36 p.m. PDT at L.A. Memorial Coliseum
- Weather will be partly cloudy, with temps in the low 60s
- Broadcast: ABC Mike Patrick (play-by-play); Craig James (color analyst); Heather Cox (sideline)
- The series dates back to 1916.
- USC leads the series 26-6-0
- The Trojans won 7 straight from 1916 to 1928, then they didn't play again until 1979
- The Trojans have won the last seven
- Last game: USC 17 Arizona 10
- Last game in L.A.: USC 20 Arizona 13
- Both teams are coming off wins over their rivals
- USC is ranked in the AP Top 25 for its last 102 games.
- In Los Angeles games, USC is 15- 3, with victories in the last 3 Coliseum meetings.
- Last time USC and Arizona played this late in the season: Dec. 9, 1916
- USC has a 39-23-7 (.616) all-time record while playing in the month of December.
- USC has 3 players on its roster from Arizona (Everson Griffen, Devon Kennard, Kris O’Dowd)
- Arizona has 49 Californian players
- USC OT Matt Kalil’s father, Frank, played center for Arizona
- USC C Kristofer O’Dowd’s grandfather, Jack, lettered in football at Arizona for 3 years (1930-32)
- Arizona QB Andrew McDonald is the son of former USC QB Paul McDonald (1977-79)
- USC DT Jurrell Casey turns 20 on Saturday (Dec. 5)
- Six Trojans were named semifinalists for national 2009 post-season award. They were:
- QB Matt Barkley O’Brien Award (top quarterback)
- OG/C Jeff Byers Campbell Trophy (top scholar-athlete)
- PK Jordan Congdon Groza Award (top placekicker)
- LB Chris Galippo Butkus Award (top linebacker)
- S Taylor Mays Bednarik Award (top defensive player), Thorpe Award (top DB), Lott Trophy (top defensive impact player)
- TE Anthony McCoy Mackey Award (top tight end)
- USC has allowed just 14 sacks in 2009.
- USC is ranked seventh nationally in sacks (3.0, first in Pac-10)
- USC is 15th in both tackles for loss (7.3, second in Pac-10)
- USC is 15th in pass efficiency defense (105.2, first in Pac-10) and 23rd in scoring defense (20.4)
- USC is seventh nationally in punt returns (16.1, second in Pac-10)
- USC is 21st in net punting (37.9, first in Pac-10).
- USC is allowing opponents just 2.1 yards per punt return (third best nationally)
- Arizona is 21st nationally in rushing defense (109.6, third in Pac-10)
- Arizona is 22nd in total defense (318.9, second in Pac-10)
- Arizona is 16th in sacks (2.8, second in Pac-10).
- USC’s 19 football seniors will be saluted prior to the game
- USC's women’s tennis team will be honored during the game for winning the Pac-10
- USC’s Swim With Mike swim-a-thon will be saluted in recognition of its 30th anniversary.
- USC TB Joe McKnight (thigh), TE Blake Ayles (knee, ankle), CB Brian Baucham (ankle), LB Jarvis Jones (neck) and OG Zack Heberer (back) are hurt, but could play.
- USC QB-WR Garrett Green (knee), WR David Ausberry (calf), LB Luthur Brown (back), TB Marc Tyler (toe), TE James Boyd (knee), WR Scott Stephens (knee), TB Stafon Johnson (throat), DT Hebron Fangupo (ankle), CB Marshall Jones (neck), OG Martin Coleman (foot) are out
- Only four of Pete Carroll's eighteen losses have come at home
- Pete Carroll is 96-18 at USC. That's second best among active coaches
- Pete Carroll is 29-1 in November games
- Pete Carroll is 62-13 in Pac-10 games
- That is 9th on the all-time Pac-10 victories list, best among active coaches
- USC’s 2009 schedule currently is ranked the nation’s fifth toughest by the Sagarin rankings.
- USC started the season with 6 road games in their first 9
- USC has played in the last 4 consecutive Rose Bowls
- No team has been to 5 straight
- Arizona has never been to the Rose Bowl
- USC OL Jeff Byers has been named a finalist for the Wuerffel Trophy.
- USC LB Malcolm Smith was named Walter Camp Defensive Player of the Week last week
- Pete Carroll is 7-0 against the Wildcats
- Arizona head coach Mike Stoops has beaten everyone in the Pac-10 except USC
- Stoops is 32-38
- His Wildcats are 6-3 against ranked teams in November/December games
- Arizona WR Bug Wright is the nation's best punt returner at 19.2 yards per return
- USC WR Damian Williams is sixth with 16.1 uards
- Arizona has given up just 11 sacks all year.
- USC has 33 sacks
- The teams' rushing stats are almost identical:
- Arizona has 379 attempts, USC 378;
- USC has 1,942 net yards, Arizona 1,938
- USC averages 176.5 per game, Arizona 176.2
- USC has 22 rushing TDs, Arizona has 18
- USC TB Joe McKnight needs 21 yards to get his first 1,000-yard season
- Nic Grigsby's next rushing touchdown will move him into a tie for No. 4 all-time at Arizona
- Since they joined the Pac-10, Arizona is 99-11-1 when they score 30 or more points
- USC will be honoring its 22 seniors before the game. They are:
2 MAYS, Taylor S 6-3 235 2/7/88 Sr./Sr. 3V Seattle, WA (O’Dea)
13 JOHNSON, Stafon TB 5-11 210 2/6/88 Sr./Sr. 3V Compton (Dorsey)
14 GREEN, Garrett QB-WR 6-2 210 5/21/88 Sr./Sr. 3V Chatsworth (Notre Dame)
15 THOMAS, Kevin CB 6-1 190 9/20/86 Sr.*/Sr. 3V Oxnard (Rio Mesa)
26 HARRIS, Will S 6-1 210 12/29/86 Sr.*/Sr. 3V Covina (Charter Oak)
28 HART, Justin CB 6-0 180 4/3/87 Sr.*/Sr. SQ West Covina (South Hills)
36 PINKARD, Josh S-CB 6-1 215 4/2/86 Sr.*/Sr. 4V Oxnard (Hueneme)
38 CONGDON, Jordan PK 5-9 175 12/15/86 Sr.*/Sr. SQ San Diego (St. Augustine/Nebraska)
45 GOODMAN, Adam FB 6-1 240 6/30/87 Sr.*/Sr. 2V Huntington Beach (Edison/Saddleback CC)
52 BROWN, Luthur LB 6-2 235 4/7/87 Sr.*/Sr. 2V Lakewood (Lakewood)
53 BYERS, Jeff OG-C 6-3 290 9/7/85 Sr.*/Sr. 3V Fort Collins, CO (Loveland)
56 PARSONS, Alex OG-C 6-4 300 9/14/87 Sr./Sr. 3V Irvine (Woodbridge)
57 GARRATT, Nick LB 6-1 235 6/16/86 Sr.*/Sr. 3V South Lake Tahoe (South Tahoe)
64 NOLAN, Garrett C 6-4 275 7/26/87 Sr.*/Sr. 1V Northridge (Chaminade/Holy Cross/Moorpark JC)
71 BROWN, Charles OT 6-6 285 4/10/87 Sr.*/Sr. 3V Chino Hills (Diamond Ranch)
76 HOWELL, Nick OT 6-5 290 10/10/86 Sr.*/Sr. 2V Fresno (Bullard)
86 McCOY, Anthony TE 6-5 250 12/28/87 Sr./Sr. 3V Fresno (Bullard)
99 SPICER, Averell DT 6-2 295 4/26/87 Sr.*/Sr. 3V Rancho Cucamonga (Rancho Cucamonga)
Along with four graduating seniors with remaining eligibility:
39 Cavignac, Preston WR 6-0 185 4/4/88 Jr.*/Sr. SQ San Diego (Francis Parker)
59 Deckas, Dan LB 5-10 215 12/17/87 Jr.*/Sr. 1V Edina, MN (Edina)
38 Erickson, Robert S 5-11 190 6/5/88 Jr.*/Sr. SQ Ojai (Nordhoff)
39 O'Malley, Billy P 6-1 190 8/19/87 Jr.*/Sr. SQ Novelty, OH (St. Ignatius)
Several juniors who are NFL draft eligible might be playing their final games at the Coliseum, including Damian Williams, Joe McKnight, Stanley Havili and Everson Griffin.
Senior Stafon Johnson could return with medical redshirt.
Finally, Jake Olson, the 12-year-old Trojan fan featured on ESPN's "College GameDay" and "SportsCenter" shows this week, is scheduled to take part in the pre-game coin toss and conduct the Trojan Marching Band at the start of the fourth quarter on Saturday.
USC's weekly football release.
Arizona's weekly football release.
Fight On! Beat the Wildcats!